This sweet little girl of mine has been suffering from headaches, sore throats & ear infections. She has been on 3 antibiotics since January. So her doctor wanted her to go to an ENT doctor. We made an appointment... It took ONE month to get in. But that day came today. It appears she has TMJ. Which is VERY rare for a child this age. It is causing the headaches... (she has a knot.. Which he said was a Charlie Horse) on the side of her head. The TMJ is causing the ear canal to inflame and then turn into an infection. Unfortunatly there is no cure for TMJ. But he did say that changing her diet will help it..... NO GUM!! That is the worst thing for it. No hard stuff.... Jerky, cereal... (soft cereal is best), etc. Basically hard and crunchy is NOT good. He gave us a paper about it. On there it said that Nightguards will help. However... I have looked online just trying to get an idea about them and where you can get them. So far... I haven't seen any for kids. But as far as the sore throats goes, she will be getting her tonsils and adnoids out. But that wont happen until school lets out.
1 year ago









6 comments:
hey Michelle. Yea things are kinda crazy right now. Bob and I have decided to get a divorce and so that is why I will be starting my own blog. I hope that we can still stay in touch though. Your kids are getting big.
What the heck?!? That poor baby girl. I'm glad you found out what was going on, even if there isn't a cure, at least you know what you are dealing with. I guess she can go on the milkshake diet ;) But cold stuff probably hurts as well.
I didn't know she was having problems! I'm glad you found out about it, though! I wonder if chiropractics can do anything? have you talked to doc crockett? I hope she gets to feeling better. :o)
Oh I'm sorry!!! You know we use a thing called T4K (Trainer 4 Kids) at our office to help do pre-ortho work. It basically looks like a football mouthpiece. They are only like $25. I'm sure that would help put her jaw into a relaxing position at night and whenever else she wears it. You might want to look into something like that. Dr. Palmer also has extra training in TMJ-so you might want to consider taking her to him. But if anything, I'm sure they would sell you a T4K-that's all mouthpieces really do is don't allow your teeth to come all the way together and clench down. They force them to rest and go back into the ball socket it's supposed to be in.
Poor little girl! Getting tonsil out was the best thing for Sadie. Hey I need your email address.
My mouthguard was made by my dentist. They took a mold and a few weeks later I had a thick plastic guard (a cross between a football mouthguard and invisaline braces). It worked like a charm. I'd had problems since I was in junior high and I got the guard after high school. My jaw still pops occassionally, but the headaches and my jaw locking up have completely stopped since then.
Post a Comment