Sunday, February 21, 2010

Dryer Sheets~


Ok.... So as I was switching the laundry from the washer to the dryer, I reached up to grab a dryer sheet and noticed they were getting low. My first thought was DANG!!!.... "I hate buying them"... I hate buying them because I think they are so expensive. Then I thought........ "There has GOT to be a cheaper homemade method." So I went to the internet in search of something to help me out. I found a few ideas that I want to give a try, since I have no idea which one will work best for me. The first 3 are pretty much the same just vary a little bit.

Pour a 50/50 mix of fabric softener and water into a spray bottle. Spray an old wash cloth 3 or 4 times. Then throw the rag into the dryer with wet clothes.

OR….

Pour fabric softener into a spray bottle, spray an old washcloth 4-6 times and then put into the dryer with wet clothes. A small refill carton should last you over a year. (This is the same as the recipe above, just more concentrate)

OR……

Soak a clean rag in ultra fabric softener and let dry. Put the dry rag in your dryer and leave it there. This will soften your clothes like a dryer sheet, but will last a long time. I have just started using it and have done 30 loads and the same rag is still working. I have another rag ready and waiting for when this first one runs out. Every couple of weeks, re-soak and hang to dry and start all over.

OR.....

Use Sponges In Fabric Softener
Get a large jar, cut up a sponge and put the pieces in it. Then take a couple of capfuls of Downy, or whatever kind you want, and fill the rest with water. When you need a dryer sheet, reach for the sponge. You just wring it out, throw it in, then when the laundry is done, put it back in the jar! This works wonderfully and save a lot of money and garbage from the dryer sheets.

I will be testing them out to see which one I want to go with. Besides saving money, if I have stuff on hand to make them, it will be great to have in my year supply.

I also have recipes for homemade laundry soap, cough medicine, furniture polish, windex, etc... I have the supplies for those, but have yet to give them a try.

By the way...... I don't want to go the route of cutting the dryer sheets in half. I think one of these other methods will be much cheaper.

2 comments:

csrussell said...

those all sound like a good idea I might try one

Mela said...

also vinegar in your washer is a natrual fabric softener too. I like the ideas you gave though, i might try them. I agree fabric softener is too expensive