Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Adventures of Porkchop Part 2~~

Back in September I posted about us getting a pig to raise for the meat. It's hard to believe it's been 5 months and that it is time to send it off to the Butcher. Quinn helped the Anderson's get theirs into the trailer a couple of weeks ago. So when we went to do ours today, he thought he had it all figured out. Well.....

Quinn backed up the horse trailer to the pig pen. We had it all blocked and had the pig come out of the pen. Well it ran under the trailer gate and through mine and Brycie's legs. Quinn chased it down. Then chased it some more..... And some more. Finally we got it back in the pen. Quinn grabbed it by the back legs and tried moving it in. He got it about half in the trailer and he ran back in the pen. After a bit we got it cornered between the pen, trailer and a barrier we had made. Quinn pulled it's legs and Levi pushed from the front and in he went. Mimi stood back and watched.... She didn't like the loud sqealing. I am sure all the neighbors heard it too.



After all that, we grabbed the Pizza from the oven and headed of to Malapi in Snowflake to drop it off. THAT.... thank goodness went MUCH smoother. We backed the trailer up and out he walked. I was surprised that the girls didn't cry.
We look forward to getting the meat in a few weeks. Anyway... here are some pictures of the days... Adventure with Porkchop..
There he goes..... (Hurry Quinn)....
Don't get infront of him Levi!!!..........
Slowly getting him back......
He's almost there.....
Whew... Both Quinn and the pig need a rest....
At Malipi... Where Porkchop will meet his Maker.....

Kids at Malipis.. (Porchop behind them)....

So what's next?..... Chickens, a Beef, a Milk Cow? Who knows.... I am pulling for some chickens. We will see. :)

7 comments:

Missy said...

What a fun adventure! (except for Quinn!) Hope you enjoy your fresh ham, bacon, roast, etc!! YUM! :o)

I know what you mean about going private! I hate it.

Megan said...

Malapai is the best. You will love the sausage. We have chickens and the kids love them. They like to go check for eggs and throw out corn for them. Even Mimi would like chickens. You should have the girls ask their daddy for chickens. They can probably get him to buy them some.

Miranda said...

That's cool. I wish our boys could experience some of that.

Larry and Megan said...

I think my husband would love some chickens, a milk cow and a pig. We have rabbits now that we raise to eat. He thinks now that we live here and have a lot of land to live on that we need all of that stuff. I'm not sure what I think of all that.

Well I hope to see you soon. Give me a call sometime. 4854

Mela said...

Run Porkchop Run! He knew what was going to happen to him!! :0)

Gilbert_Sundevil said...

Mmmmmm. Bacon.

That reminds me of the world's greatest invention (besides Tivo)...

BaconSalt. Woo Hoo!!!
http://www.baconsalt.com/

-Colby

Hincha's said...

That is a very funny story!I would have like to watch it. Poor pig!