Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Grow the grass

Sunday at church, we had a really good talk on families and raising our children. He likened it to growing grass and keeping out the weeds. He gave and example of two different people taking care of their yards. One started early and sprayed the weeds. He concentrated on keeping the grass growing and looking nice instead of trying to keep out the weeds. Eventually the weeds were fewer than the grass. The other person started later and their main goal was to kill the weeds, and in doing so was killing the grass.


He talked about how we need to concentrate on raising our children and leading them to a righteous life rather than worrying about all that's wrong with the world and trying to keep the bad out. If we teach them by example and concentrate on keeping the good in our home and lives, eventually the bad will weed itself out. I know that I am totally butchering the talk, but it was a good one. I know that as a parent I tend to worry about things that in reality aren't all that bad. I need to concentrate on leading by example. Making sure they have the gospel in their lives and that they feel safe. Teach them how to live and survive. Don't do everything for them..... "Let" them have chores and responsibilities. Don't try to control their every decision and thought. I just need to concentrate on helping my "grass" to grow rather than killing the weeds. I hope I can do it.



4 comments:

Lori Ashton said...

Thanks for sharing. The older we get, the more we realize that being a parent is the hardest thing we will ever do in this life. The pains and the heartache are almost too much to bear, but then pops in a joy moment and makes everything worth it. Thanks for your comment about my dad. Sometimes I forget there are others that are hurting like I am and I forget to reach out, so thank you for that.

Norris Family said...

Sounds like a good talk with some great insight.

Chris and Suzette said...

LOVED this ! Thanks for sharing :)

Marcie Ashton said...

Maybe I should go to church more often:)